Sports Digest: 2 more black coaches sue NFL over racial discrimination
Two black coaches joined Brian Flores on Thursday in his lawsuit alleging racist NFL hiring practices amid vacancies for coaches and general managers.
The updated lawsuit in Manhattan federal court added coaches Steve Wilks and Ray Horton.
The lawsuit said Wilks was discriminated against by the Arizona Cardinals in 2018 when he was hired as a ‘bridge coach’ but had no meaningful chance of succeeding, while Horton was subjected to discriminatory treatment when he received a fake interview for the Tennessee Titans. position of head coach in January 2016.
Flores also criticized the NFL in the rewritten lawsuit for its response to the lawsuit he filed against her and her teams several weeks ago.
The lawsuit added the Houston Texans to the teams Flores claimed to have discriminated against him, claiming the Texans engaged in ‘blatant retaliation’ by removing him from consideration for his head coaching job after suing the league.
In a statement from trial attorneys, Wilks said he hopes the trial will help bring racial equality to the league. Arizona replaced Wilks with Kliff Kingsbury, a white man with no NFL coaching experience, and granted an extension to a white general manager despite a drunk driving conviction.
“When Coach Flores filed this lawsuit, I knew I had an obligation to myself and all black coaches and aspiring black coaches in the NFL to stand with him,” he said. “This lawsuit has shed important new light on a problem that we all know exists, but too few are prepared to confront. Black coaches and candidates should have exactly the same ability to become employed and to remain employed as black coaches and candidates. white coaches and candidates.
Horton said he was “devastated and humbled” when he learned his Titans interview was a sham.
“By joining this business, I hope to turn this experience into positive and lasting change and create true equal opportunity in the future,” he said.
The NFL declined to comment Thursday.
Flores sued the NFL and three teams on Feb. 1 after being fired as Miami Dolphins coach in January after leading the Dolphins to a 24-25 record in three years. They went 9-8 in their second straight season, but failed to qualify for the playoffs during his tenure.
He has since been hired as an assistant coach by the Pittsburgh Steelers.
MEN’S HOCKEY: Carter Savoie scored with 14:53 into overtime, converting his own rebound to give Denver a 3-2 victory over Michigan in the Frozen Four semifinals at TD Garden in Boston.
The Pioneers will play for the title on Saturday night against the winner of the late semifinal between Minnesota and Minnesota State. It would be Denver’s ninth hockey championship, tying Michigan for the most in NCAA history.
MEN’S BASKETBALL: Gonzaga junior forward Drew Timme announced his intention to declare himself for the NBA draft, but did not indicate whether he would hire an agent.
Timme was the West Coast Conference Player of the Year and a second-team AP All-America selection after averaging 18.4 points and 6.8 rebounds.
CHARLESTON OPEN: Amanda Anisimova of the United States beat top-seeded Aryna Sabalenka of Belarus 3-6, 6-4, 6-3 to reach the quarter-finals in Charleston, South Carolina.
In another upset, CoCo Vandeweghe defeated fellow American and sixth seed Jessica Pegula, 6-4, 3-6, 6-4.
• Serena Williams’ decade-long coach, Patrick Mouratoglou, will work with another Grand Slam champion and former No1, Simona Halep.
Mouratoglou announced his partnership with Halep via social media, creating a formidable duo – and raising questions about what it means for Williams’ future as a player.
Holder of 23 major singles titles, a record for the professional era, Williams hasn’t competed anywhere since suffering a right hamstring injury in a first-round match at Wimbledon in late June. from last year.
WOUND: Wimbledon runner-up Matteo Berrettini will miss the next three ATP Masters 1000 tournaments as he recovers from surgery.
The 25-year-old Italian, ranked sixth, had surgery on his right hand last week.
SOUTH AMERICA: A South American soccer official who was acquitted of a racketeering conspiracy charge in the United States has had his life ban by FIFA overturned and sent back for further investigation.
The Court of Arbitration for Sport said its panel of judges had partially upheld an appeal by Manuel Burga against FIFA “on the basis of a breach of due process rights”.
Burga’s football ban imposed in 2019 has been overturned “and the matter has been referred to the FIFA Ethics Committee’s Investigative Chamber which will have to resume the proceedings”, the court said. .
Burga was the president of the Peruvian soccer federation when he was implicated in bribes in a sweeping investigation uncovered in 2015 by US federal authorities.
He was tried in Brooklyn along with two other South American football leaders and was the only one to be acquitted in December 2017. Leaving the court, he said: “My football story is over.”
Two years later, FIFA investigators argued there was ‘overwhelming evidence’ that Burga had obtained or been promised $6.6 million in bribes linked to kickback deals. marketing for competitions such as the Copa America and the Copa Libertadores.
Masters notebook: Casey quits due to back injury