Football: Man City trio take end-of-season Premier League awards
Defender Dias becomes the second Portuguese to receive the honor after former Manchester United striker Cristiano Ronaldo.
* A superb first half from winger Emil Forsberg paved the way for Sweden’s 3-1 victory over Armenia in their final friendly before the start of Euro 2020 next week.
* Wales failed to win Euro 2020 as Albania held them to a 0-0 draw in front of 6,500 fans in Cardiff on Saturday 5th June.
* Substitute Aleksandr Sobolev’s penalty saw Russia win 1-0 over Bulgaria in their final warm-up friendly before the European Championship kicks off next Friday.
* Hwang Ui-jo scored a brace as the Republic of Korea beat Turkmenistan 5-0 on Saturday to reclaim first place in Group H in the second round of the Asian World Cup qualifiers.
* A relentless Rafa Nadal qualified for the last 16 at Roland Garros for the 16th time on Saturday, with a brutal 6-3 6-3 6-3 dismantling of Briton Cameron Norrie. Nadal, who won his 13th title at Roland Garros last year, extended his Grand Slam race on clay to an incredible 30 sets won in a row.
* Roger Federer reached the last 16 of Roland-Garros but needed all his fighting skills to make his way past the German Dominik Koepfer on an empty and strange Philippe Chatrier court in Saturday night’s match. The 39-year-old, 20-time Grand Slam champion was at times in tatters and lacked his usual zip against tenacious Koepfer, but the eighth seed made his way to a 7-6 (5) 6 -7 (3) 7-6 (4) Win 7-5 with time approaching 1 a.m. local time.
* Novak Djokovic has qualified for the round of 16 at the French Open for the 12th consecutive year with a 6-1, 6-4, 6-1 victory over 93rd-placed Lithuanian Ricardas Berankis on Saturday (June 5th). The world number one will face 19-year-old Italian Grand Slam debutant Lorenzo Musetti for a place in the quarter-finals.
* Fourth seed Sofia Kenin rallied to a set to secure a spot at Roland Garros in the round of 16 on Saturday, beating fellow American Jessica Pegula 4-6 6-1 6-4 on Suzanne-Lenglen court .
* Teenager Coco Gauff reached the last 16 at Roland Garros for the first time after fellow American Jennifer Brady left with a foot injury after losing the opening set 6-1 on Saturday.
* Defending champion Iga Swiatek overcame a slow start to secure her place in the last 16 at Roland Garros with a 7-6 (4) 6-0 victory over Estonian Anna Kontaveit on Saturday.
* Former US Open champion Sloane Stephens defeated forward Karolina Muchova at Roland Garros on Saturday, knocking out the 18th seed of the Czech Republic with a 6-3 7-5 victory and advancing to the fourth round .
* Fifth seed Elina Svitolina withdrew from Roland Garros with a 6-3 6-2 third-round loss to 33rd-seeded Barbora Krejcikova of the Czech Republic on Saturday as the big names in the women’s draw continued to fall at the Grand Slam on clay.
* Three-time Grand Slam champion Stan Wawrinka has withdrawn from Wimbledon due to a foot injury which has also ruled him out of the current French Open, the men’s tennis governing body (ATP) said .
* AlphaTauri’s Pierre Gasly was surprisingly fastest in the final testing of the Azerbaijani Grand Prix on Saturday, as Formula 1 Championship leader Red Bull Max Verstappen crashed into the barriers. Frenchman Gasly, winner of the Red Bull team in Italy last season, completed the Baku street circuit with a best time of one minute 42.251 seconds in a hectic session on a hot afternoon.
* Yamaha world championship leader Fabio Quartararo claimed his fifth consecutive pole position of the MotoGP season after being fastest in qualifying for the Catalan Grand Prix on Saturday. Quartararo became the first driver in seven years to achieve the feat, and the Frenchman is joined in first place by Jack Miller of Ducati and Johann Zarco of Pramac Racing.
* Jamaican sprint sweetheart Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce became the second-fastest woman of all time behind 100-meter world record holder Florence Griffith-Joyner when she clocked 10.63 seconds during a meeting in Kingston on Saturday.