Dynamo Kiev seal Ukrainian Premier League title for first time in five years – UNIAN
The victory is led by Mircea Lucescu, former coach of Dynamo’s bitter rival Shakhtar.
On Sunday April 25, Dynamo Kyiv claimed a confident 5-0 victory in a home game against the Inhulets, sealing the Ukrainian club’s title as champions of the 2020-2021 season, three rounds before the finish.
After today’s game, the Dynamo became inaccessible to second Shakhtar, sealing the championship title with 58 points, 13 points ahead of their closest competitor, who lost the game away from home. today against Alexandria.
Dynamo title: figures and facts
- Dynamo won the Ukrainian championship for the 16th time in history, setting a historic record.
- Dynamo became the champion of Ukraine for the first time since 2016.
- The victory is led by Mircea Lucescu, former coach of Dynamo’s bitter rival Shakhtar.
- Dynamo now has 37 titles won during the years of Ukrainian independence (16 league titles, 12 Ukrainian Cups and 9 Ukrainian Super Cups). The Kiev team have two titles ahead of Shakhtar (13 league titles, 13 Ukrainian Cups, 8 Ukrainian Super Cups and the UEFA Cup).
- Mircea Lucescu became the Ukrainian champion for the ninth time in his career, winning gold with the two Ukrainian giants – Shakhtar and Dynamo.
- Dynamo have the potential to seal a “gold double” this season if they beat Zorya in the Cup final on May 13.