7 things to know for Thursday, September 8
Queen Elizabeth II has been placed under medical supervision.
- What we know: Doctors are ‘concerned’ about the health of the 96-year-old British monarch, Buckingham Palace said today.
- How serious is it? We do not know. Buckingham Palace doesn’t usually give out many details about the Queen’s health. But her family joined her in Scotland, where the queen stayed.
The second suspect in Canada’s mass knife attacks has died after being arrested.
- What we know: The 32-year-old ‘entered into medical distress’ shortly after being captured in Saskatchewan yesterday following a four-day manhunt, police said.
- The other suspect his brother, was found dead on Monday. The police are still investigating what happened.
- It was one of the deadliest massacres in Canada: Ten people died and 18 others were injured in Sunday’s attacks, which began on James Smith’s Cree Nation.
A gunman engaged in a fatal shootout across Memphis yesterday.
- What happened? Four people were killed and at least three others were injured, officials said. The shootings, one of which was streamed live on Facebook, forced people to shelter in place for hours.
- A 19-year-old suspect has been arrested. We do not yet have any information about the victims or why this happened. The suspect was released from prison earlier this year.
The United States is sending Ukraine an additional $2.6 billion in aid.
- What there is to know: This includes $675 million in weapons, with more rocket launcher rounds that Ukraine has used to precisely target Russian forces.
- On the ground: Ukraine said it had regained territory in the northeast region of Kharkiv.
Voluntary power outages helped California avoid blackouts this week.
- What there is to know: Millions of people reduced their energy consumption during a historic heatwave after alerts on their phones warned them that the network was in danger.
- This is part of a larger problem: The US electric grid is under enormous strain due to extreme weather conditions and the premature shutdown of some fossil fuel power plants.
- What else to know: Remnants of Hurricane Kay could bring rain and flooding to Southern California and the Southwest tomorrow.
An experimental ALS drug moved closer to approval yesterday.
The NFL season officially kicks off tonight.